Process and Approval
Initial budget process and approval is based on itinerary and projected costs. No program costs can be publicized or listed on promotional materials until the trip budget has been approved. The entire Marietta College Policy for Budgeting and Funding of Off-Campus Programs can be found here:http://w3.marietta.edu/employees/programs.pdf
The international study tour budget planner worksheet can be found on the Marietta College employee website under Budget Planner Worksheet: Off-Campus Programs Academic Year http://w3.marietta.edu/employees/index.html. The Business Office updates the worksheet annually.
International Study Tour budgeting is determined by tuition revenue and travel expenses. The student must incur the trip leader and secondary adult travel expenses. It is not permitted to use tuition revenue to counter travel expenses.
Please note the following details about budgets and study tours:
- Trip leader salaries can only be pulled from tuition costs.
- Program costs for the faculty leader and second responsible adult should be borne by the students, unless other funding, such as an IAG travel grant, can be obtained. However, the faculty leader should not count on such supplemental funding and should plan conservatively.
- The Business Office will not issue rebates of less than $100, and all rebates will be rounded down to the next lowest multiple of $100.
- Barring special circumstances, student deposits are non-refundable.
- Building in a contingency fund will help the trip leader in the event of an emergency or issue.
It is up to the faculty trip leader to determine what advanced funding is required for the trip. Proper paperwork must be completed before request can be processed. Cash advances require faculty trip leader to fill out a check request form and must include person’s name and purpose of trip. Account information for cash advances can be obtained from the Business Office. Funds can be advanced to faculty leaders up to 7 business days prior to trip dates.
Trip leaders who do not have access to a Marietta College credit card need to speak with the Controller as soon as the program is approved. Leaders who have credit cards will need to consult with the Accounting Clerk to ensure extensions on credit lines for the entire duration of the trip. It is recommended that the leader contact the credit company and your personal bank to alert them to international travel.
Detailed information on deposits, payment deadlines and reconciliation of receipts can be found in the Manual for Faculty Trip Leaders of International Study Tours.